This chatbot project is one of the most challenging projects that I have ever worked on. Since this is a proof-of-concept project, I didn't have financial support to carry out research on the project. I made use of secondary data that I could find. I read through threads on a printer forum and learned the style of language used by online users who seek help with their printers and learned about user behavior from previous usability studies.
This project is still an early stage prototype. I limited the prototype to one specific printer model (C4150). I didn't have the chance to go through all types of issues and troubleshooting instructions for all Lexmark products. I would also like to explore the design for users with different personalities. Furthermore, to make it a functional product, we need to spend time on developing the back-end to support the bot (natural language processing and computer vision).